- 1 Byron Katie describes The Work
- 2 He should be more Understanding
- 3 I need her to Get over it
- 4 I need a Boyfriend
- 5 I'm not living my Full Potential
- 6 I hate my Body
- 7 Something is Wrong with Me
- 8 Unconditional love happens in a questioning mind
- 9 My Son refuses to see Me
- 10 My mom needs a Dog
- 11 My Mother is Selfish & Controlling
- 12 Fear of the Future
- 13 Thankyou for Dying on Time
- 14 I want the Cancer to Stop Growing
- 15 Open Heart Surgery
- 16 Do The Work Process
Byron Katie has specialized in "white hat work", or in helping people get out of their 'patterned pseudo-reality' (conditioning) by a very immediate, often humorous version of the scientific method, especially adapted to making experiments with our own minds, and patterns. Very powerful.
Although we don't hold with the absolutist idea of 'accepting all that is' (which can lead to thinking that "it is ok" that there's suffering & oppression in the world: ultimately that can be just denial & very disempowering, upholding Basic Human Rights is the core of 'People-Care'), there is a great deal that is very empowering in reasoning away a lot of our inner dramas and irrationalities, even if it only work as a temporary measure.
"The Work" consists of honestly filling in this work-sheet, in detail (copy of same as excel online document here), any time we are in a conflict situation, or feel pain around some un-resolved situation in our lives. Then observing what we think, and asking questions in a different way than we usually do. It is about looking at familiar things in a new way, so we can notice how we oppress ourselves, and others.
The videos and links describe in more detail what to do with that information, once you have laid it out clearly on paper. Some extraordinary things can happen, simply by questioning our own beliefs.
"The Work" is a very powerful "present-time technique" (there are many others), but does not in and of itself heal the original hurt, necessarily - although it can be very helpful toward that, since the ability to put our attention in present time ("the benign reality" as described in the RC model, which is very complementary to The Work) is actually essential to letting go of old hurts (and in fact you can see some being discharged in these very interesting videos).
& the ByronKatie
Some funny ones:
"Victims are violent people"
In this interview with Oprah Byron Katie tells her story & how The Work developed
"Defense is the first act of war"
"There's your business, there's everybody else's business & there's God's business"
"Nobody would hurt another human being if they weren't confused"
The Work is a simple yet powerful process of inquiry that teaches you to identify and question the thoughts that cause all the suffering in the world. It’s a way to understand what’s hurting you, and to address the cause of your problems with clarity.
|Fill out the Judge-Your-Neighbor Worksheet||Ask the Four Questions||Find the Turnarounds|
People who do The Work as an ongoing practice commonly report:
- Alleviation of depression: Find resolution, even happiness, in situations that were once debilitating.
- Decreased stress: Learn how to live with less anxiety or fear.
- Improved relationships: Experience deeper connection and intimacy with your partner, your parents, your children, your friends, and yourself.
- Reduced anger: Understand what makes you angry and resentful, and become less reactive, less often, with less intensity.
- Increased mental clarity: Live and work more intelligently and effectively, with integrity.
- More energy: Experience a new sense of ongoing vigor and well-being.
- More peace: Discover how to become “a lover of what is.”